Post by Holychild on Oct 27, 2003 17:42:57 GMT -5
On April 6, 1883, the Congregation of the Augustinian Sisters of Our Lady of Consolation began in the Philippines as an apostolic branch of the Order of St. Augustine (OSA). The first four sisters who volunteered to take care of the orphans came from the Beaterio de Mantelatas de San Agustin in Barcelona, Spain. One of them was Mo. Rita Barcelo, our Foundress. Her blood-sister, Mo. Consuelo Barcelo, is the Congregation’s Co-Foundress.
When the Philippine Revolution broke out 1886, followed by the Spanish-American War, the Augustinian Friars advised the Sister to return to Spain. But the Filipino Sisters numbering already eight at that time decided to endure the difficulties and the suffering of war together. Their determination to continue serving God’s people gave them hope and strengthened their total dedication to educate the orphans.
Today, responding to the call of the Church of the Poor, we bring the Gospel message to everyone, especially to the deprived and needy ones.
In the Philippines, the Augustinian Charism flourishes in school apostolate, pre-elementary, elementary, high-school, college, graduate school, dormitories, retreat and seminar houses, social action centers, cooperatives, nursing and medical services, campus, pastoral and catechetical ministries, ministries with the children, tribal Filipinos, justice, peace and integrity of creation and women’s desk, and among migrant workers in Taiwan, Thailand, Italy, Rome, Turin and Bassano del Grappa.
We live as friends in a Community, striving to serve people in a spirit of prayer and love. We try to reach out to others and be gentle, hospitable and compassionate.